Join the Salou forum

Join the Salou forumMy name's Jan and this is my website all about Salou in Spain. Register now for free to talk about Introduce yourselves in Salou and much more!

Hello from Des


Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:46pm
2 replies4 views2 members subscribed


Posts: 13

Location: Salou

4 helpful posts

Hi, thanks for the add. I'm considering buying a small apartment in Salou, preferably not too far from the train station. I was there last weekend for a look around and I will be returning on Friday 20th Jan to start looking at properties. I guess once I've found one I shall need to find an English-speaking lawyer and start the process of applying for an NIE. I look forward to meeting some of you once I've moved in, if indeed I do.





Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:03am

Posts: 9

Location: Calafell

3 helpful posts

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:03am

Hi Des

Welcome to the forum and good

luck with your property search.You can get an NIE in the UK if you are not far from a Spanish Embassy. I did that and it's handy if you have the time to wait.Also I would advise to search online for Solicitors /Abagado in your area of Spain and check out their websites. You can generally see if they speak English and what they do from a good website. Personally I would not use a Spanish solicitor who did not have a good website because when you are back and forth to the UK it's important to be able to keep in touch easily without having totake expensive phone calls..Some Abogado's have an online virtual office where you can access all your correspondence.

Remember also that you will be paying taxes in Spain related to your property and a good Abagado will be able to deal with this for you, usually for a yearly fee, and IMO this is worth it for peace of mind.

You will also need to set up a Spanish bank account and then the solicitor should be able to help you set up direct debits for your property bills - Suma, water, electric and community charge.

Hope this helps. At least if anyone recommends a solicitor you can check if they have a website. Often recommendations may come as ..."give this or that solicitor a ring" but if they have no website you can't see what they offer before contacting them and with a web presence you can feel a bit more assured that they are easily contactable and often they have reviews online too. Just put their name into Google and see what you find.




Original Poster

Thu Mar 2, 2017 11:40am

Posts: 13

Location: Salou

4 helpful posts

Posted: Thu Mar 2, 2017 11:40am

Hi Jan,

Many thanks for your helpful reply. I now have my NIE, which I got through the Spanish consulate in London. I found a property in Cambrils during my last visit and I'm on my way back there today (Thursday 2nd March) to have another look at it and, hopefully, put in an offer. I have found an English-speaking lawyer in Tarragona. On Saturday 4th I will fly back to Warsaw.



Sign up for free or login to reply to this topic

Want to reply to this topic? Login or register for free to post your message:

Related topics

Most viewed

Popular topics this week in Salou

Caravan park

Off topic

Hi could you tell me if there are any residential static caravan parks around the Salou area as my p...

Names of public hospitals in salou

Healthcare and medical advice in Salou

Please can someone  give me the name and address of both the nearest public hospital and medica...

Find more Introduce yourselves topics from a particular area:

Register for free!

Login to your account

Advertise your business here